A product and marketing manager with proven expertise shaping innovative digital products, particularly in the performing arts.
Taking on senior management roles in a number of fast-moving, venture-backed businesses I harness content marketing tools to grow online audiences, form lasting partnerships with leading technology and media brands, enable and support sales teams to drive growth, and lead distributed teams to deliver complex projects.
Head of Operations
November 2015 - Present
Head of Operations for the Edinburgh-based ticketing software, services and consultancy business that drives the Edinburgh Festival Fringe - the largest arts festival in the world - and other UK and international events.
Recent freelance projects
Project Manager (Contractor)
March 2015 - June 2015
Project managed the delivery of a consumer digital banking app on iOS and Android for Equity Bank, one of Africa's largest bank.
• Contracted by an app development agency to manage a distributed team of six mobile developers working across three time zones. The role also included setting daily tasks for five in-house developers who were working with the external team.
• Implemented agile project management practices, hosting daily stand-ups with development and design teams and managing weekly sprints using Atlassian's JIRA project management tool.
• Liaising directly with team members from external service providers, including user interface designers and backend developers, to remove dependencies and ensure delivery to deadline.
• Implementing systems to ensure the smooth running of the project. Continually updating project API documentation in Confluence and facilitating communication with team messaging client, Slack.
Product Marketing Manager (Contractor)
May 2014 - March 2015
Transformed a successful mobile-first travel guide to Phuket, Thailand into a portfolio of 12 hyper-local travel guides for iPhone. Utilised Eric Ries’ Lean Startup methodology to inform product strategy.
• Managed the rapid build-out of the platform including designing and populating a bespoke content management system, establishing relationships with publishing partners and identifying new niches.
• Conceived, populated, branded, submitted to the App Store and launched 11 iPhone apps in a seven month period.
• Responsible for management of a remote development team using collaboration tools such as Trello.
• Daily reporting from in-app feedback and tools such as Google Analytics and App Annie to better understand user behaviour, inform feature development decisions and further product iterations.
• Creating promotion and marketing collateral for each of the guides including optimised landing pages, copywriting, automating social media workflows, keyword research and App Store optimisation.
Sales and Marketing Manager
May 2012 - May 2014
Leading marketing and digital product strategy for a pioneering niche video on demand (VOD) platform distributing high definition films of theatre, opera and ballet online and in cinemas worldwide.
• Doubled monthly revenue through diversification of the product offering, the introduction of gift certificates, an affiliate scheme, seasonal campaigns and activities to increase revenue per user.
• Managed multiple priorities to pursue an aggressive platform strategy with an online player and apps for iPad and Samsung Smart TV. Staged launch events with distribution partners including TalkTalk TV.
• Grew the Digital Theatre customer base. Negotiated the promotion of the Samsung Smart TV app directly with Samsung in South Korea.
• Supported the launch of the West End Theatre Series in co-operation with CinemaLive, taking HD British theatre to cinemas around the world. Garnered regular press coverage in the Wall Street Journal and New York Times.
• Led relationships with promotional partners including the Society of London Theatre, The Actors' Guild of Great Britain, and Telegraph Media Group to deliver exclusive promotions to their 160,000 members by email and with editorial features in the newspaper.
• Launched the UK’s first YouTube Paid Channel. Working with Google in London whilst the programme was in beta and negotiating directly with YouTube PR in California on launch activities.
• Managed a dedicated marketing team of two as well as recruiting external marketing agencies.
• Devised and created weekly news and promotional email marketing campaigns with Mailchimp.
• Used event marketing tactics, hosting regular online watch-along events, to create urgency in the purchase of back catalogue productions. Regularly trebled weekly revenue on featured products.
• Led content marketing strategy, using social media and a branded publishing platform 'The Journal' to distribute short-form audio content, blog posts and video trailers to drive interest and sales.
Deputy Editor and Off West End Editor
July 2010 - April 2012
Deputy Editor of the UK’s largest dedicated theatre news website, ranked number one in the UK for traffic by Alexa and number two by Hitwise among performing arts websites.
• Breaking news stories, writing features and conducting interviews with actors, producers and industry leaders. Commissioning and editing written, audio and video pieces from external contributors.
• Successfully delivered major digital projects including the first live stream of our annual awards, listings integration with a beta API from the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and a legacy CMS migration.
• Evaluating best practice in other niche news verticals and bringing them to the performing arts, including pioneering live tweeting from press events.
• Leading and implementing social media strategy for the business. Starting the organic follower acquisition strategy which now sees the brand with 70k Facebook likes and 90k Twitter followers. Whatsonstage.com was named one of the 'Top 100 Arts Tweeters’ by The Times under my tenure.